Thermiva is a radiofrequency (RF) energy treatment that’s commonly used for vaginal rejuvenation. Its thermal energy stimulates the production of collagen and elastin, while increasing blood flow to the vulvar and vaginal tissues. Vulvovaginal tissues lose elasticity and firmness as part of the natural aging process, as the collagen and elastin fibers that provide structure and suppleness break down and the rate of replacement slows. Childbirth can further stretch tissues and cause stress urinary incontinence when you sneeze, laugh, or exercise. Hormonal changes from perimenopause and menopause can lead to vaginal dryness and loss of sensation, which makes sex less pleasurable or even painful.
Thermiva is a treatment option for women who want to reverse these changes, without a surgical procedure like vaginoplasty. The procedure is done in the office without a need for anesthesia, and side
Who is a good candidate for thermiva
- Females with multiple pregnancies that have stretched the vaginal wall, or with excess external labia or labial laxity.”
- A new mum who has healed or should wait at least six months after vaginal childbirth.
- Women without implanted medical devices that can’t withstand RF energy (pacemakers, defibrillators) can have thermiva.
- women who have difficulty having an orgasm during sexual activities.
PROS AND CONS OF THERMIVA
- Each session takes less than 30 minutes, and there’s no downtime. You can return to your normal activities immediately after treatment and even have sexual intercourse the same day.
- There’s little to no pain during or after the treatment. You should feel just a little bit of heat from the device, which is temperature-controlled to prevent burning.
- It addresses multiple concerns at once, including tissue laxity, sensation, lubrication, and urinary control.
- You can opt to have just external treatment (if you’re noticing enlargement or sagging labia) or internal treatment, if your symptoms include dryness, laxity, and reduced sensation.
- ThermiVa have a 94% Worth It Rating, with many reporting benefits beyond what they were aiming to treat. For example, some women who primarily wanted to fix stress incontinence also say they it led to better orgasms.
- It isn’t a quick feminine rejuvenation fix. You’ll need to have a series of three treatments and wait a few months for full results. You’ll also need an annual follow-up treatment to maintain your results.
- It’s an intimate treatment that might feel awkward for some women, as the provider glides the wand-like device over the labia and along the vaginal wall for 20–30 minutes. Find a provider who prioritizes your emotional comfort.
What happens during Thermiva Treatment
You’ll start with a series of three sessions, spaced four to six weeks apart to align with the rate of cell turnover. Each treatment session takes less than 30 minutes.
First, your provider will apply a gel to help conduct heat. Then they’ll glide the S-shaped wand over the inner and outer labia and inside the vaginal canal to deliver radiofrequency energy. Patients report that it feels like a gentle, warm massage.
After you’re done with the initial series, doctors recommend annual follow-ups to maintain your results.
ThermiVa treatment is offered by many providers (including plastic surgeons), but a doctor who knows female anatomy well, like a board-certified OB-GYN, should know how much time to focus on certain tissue areas to treat your specific symptoms.
Downtime to healing from Thermiva treatment
A key benefit of this nonsurgical procedure is that it comes with no downtime. You should be able to go back to your daily life right after your ThermiVa session without pain, discomfort, or limitations. If you want to have intercourse after you walk out of the office, you may, because we’re heating the subdermal layer. There’s no actual breakage of the skin or vaginal tissue.
When will I start seeing Thermiva results
You’ll see some benefits right after your first treatment, though optimal results take a few months longer to appear. Physical changes in the external genitalia and labia are fairly immediate, because the heat creates an instant restructuring of the collagen matrix, causing the skin to tighten up. This immediate effect is followed by a more long-term effect of stimulating the cells that produce the collagen matrix and generating new cells.”
Your results will continue to improve as you finish your third treatment, and you should experience full ThermiVa benefits within a month of finishing the series.
We’re trying to build collagen and elastin, and it takes about 100 days for all the cells to completely turn over,” says Dr. Huo.